Archive for December 2009
In this episode, recorded on Sheila's birthday, we discuss a great Oshawa lunch spot called Pete's Open Kitchen and wax philosophical about cooks and protective gloves.
- Boxing Day - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day
- Pete's Open Kitchen (20 Simcoe Street South, Oshawa ON, 905-725-7383) - http://www.downtownoshawa.ca/businessdirectory.php?id=150
- Culinary Institute of America (CIA) - http://www.ciachef.edu/
- Down With Gloves by Sara Dickerman - http://www.slate.com/id/2127050/
Check out our photo stream here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/38326366@N03/sets/
The 19th was Tracy's birthday, so we decided to check out a sushi place that everyone had been telling us about. Sushi Mountain's lunch buffet was awesome!
Links of Interest:
- Coffee Culture - http://www.coffeeculture.ca/canada/index.html
- Sushi Mountain (1540 Dundas St. E., Whitby ON) - http://www.sushimountain.com/
- Bamboo Blade Anime - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_Blade
- Chimes Ginger Chews - http://www.chimesgourmet.com/
- Hakutsuru Sake - http://www.hakutsuru-sake.com/top.html
- Lobster Sashimi Video (not for the squeamish) - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5427304492329724291
- Williams Chocolate (460 Hopkins Street, Whitby ON) - http://www.williamschocolate.com/
In this week's episode, we discuss a new burrito place in Oshawa called Viva Burritos. Great food, old school customer service, affordable and quick! Also, we pine for our favourite Morgantown Mexican Restaurant: Rio Grande III.
Towards the end of the episode, we incorrectly identified Chi-chi's downfall - it was not e. coli in the romaine or tainted salsa - it was Hepatitis A from the green onions. Well, the moral of the story is, you can never trust a green onion cause you don't know where it's been.
Links of Interest:
- William's Coffe Pub - http://www.williamscoffeepub.com/
- Viva Burrito (12 Centre St. N., Oshawa ON) - http://www.vivaburritos.ca/main/Home.html
- Rio Grande III (1417 Elk Rd, Morgantown WV)- http://www.allmenus.com/wv/morgantown/246907-rio-grande-iii/menu/
- Los Mariachis (1137 Van Voorhis Rd., Morgantown WV) - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/226/1096373/restaurant/Los-Mariachis-Morgantown
- Chi-chi's Hepatitis A Outbreak Via Green Onions - http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2009/09/meaningful-outbreak-6-chi-chis-hepatitis-a-outbreak/
We found a great new winery in Stouffville! Also, a long time coming, the great Oshawa landmark - Teddy's!!
- Applewood Farm Winery - http://www.applewoodfarmwinery.com/
- Mead types explained, including cyser - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead
- Port wine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_wine
- The Thomas Jefferson Hour - http://www.jeffersonhour.org/
- Jefferson wine bottle on auction - http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/03/070903fa_fact_keefe - which may be a fake - http://www.grapewallofchina.com/2009/11/13/china-thomas-jefferson-and-fake-wine-benjamin-wallace-author-of-billionaires-vinegar/
- Wine in Virginia (oops! We were wrong!) - http://www.monticellowinetrail.com/
- Info on duties on alcohol when returning to the US (please check official sites before your trip - we're not responsible if this info is outdated!) - http://gocanada.about.com/od/faqscrossingtheborde1/p/duty_free.htm
- Chowhound (It seems like everytime we look a restaurant up here, it's full of negative comments) - http://chowhound.chow.com/boards