Archive for August 2010
We have been wanting to do a cigar episode for a long time, so here's a not so brief overview of one of our favourite after dinner treats.
- Cigar Smoking and Health - http://cigars.about.com/od/legalhealthissues/a/0061003.htm
- Size and Shape Chart - http://home.comcast.net/~bcabana2/prudentpeddler/cigars/shape.htm
- Wrapper Shades - http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2884734/types_of_cigar_wrappers_and_how_they.html?cat=22
- Cigar Flavour Wheel (pdf) - http://www.shortcut-cigars.com/shared/Tresors/wheel.pdf
- Drink Pairings - http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Journal_Main/69A6B8E7-FAF1-4F0D-BBBC-05A4920D414F.html
- El Fumidor (518 Beaver Street, Sewickly PA) - http://fujipub.com/elfumador/
- Coolerdors, the inexpensive humidors - http://www.cigardiary.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=28
- Cutting and Lighting - http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Graphics/SpecialFeature/Cigar101/fa198.html
- victory cigars (215 King Street E., Oshawa ON) - http://www.victorycigars.ca/
- Rama Moccasin and Smoke (6413 Rama Road, Rama First Nation ON) - http://www.ramashop.com
- 90s cigar boom - http://www.articlesbase.com/food-and-beverage-articles/the-cigar-boom-what-it-was-and-is-419373.html
- Things we forgot to mention: Cigars with pig tails, shaggy feet, women cigar smokers and the exact maduro process.
No matter where you live, there is bound to be a farmer's market near you. Eating locally has never been easier! This episode is about just some of the many prepared food vendors at the Oshawa Center farmer's market.
Green Belt Fresh (Farmer's Market Locator for Ontario) - http://greenbeltfresh.ca/ A Taste of Russia - http://atasteofrussia.ca/locations.htm Kyoto Coffee - http://www.kyotocoffee.ca/ Sticklings Bakery - http://www.sticklingsbakery.com/
This week's episode is a book review of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. It's exploitational, but we can't necessarily say over-exaggerated. This episode isn't rated as "clean" because the book makes numerous references to alcohol and drug use, as well a informal dalliances with the opposite sex (I think I said that as polite as I possibly could). An entertaining read from someone who really has been there and done that (probably a few times), Boudain's Kitchen Confidential is the flag ship of restaurant exposés, that have influenced many others to write their own memoirs of how things really are in the kitchens of restaurants.
- Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain - http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Confidential-Adventures-Culinary-Underbelly/dp/0060934913
- The Rise of The Superchef (BBC) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7908794.stm
- Reclaiming The Toothbrush Mustache - http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/11/cohen200711
- Original Reggae Skinheads - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPZFpWC9o4
This is a bit of a pot porri, with a short review about a great Persian place in Oshawa called Cyrus, discussion of french presses, fresh made Naan bread from Indian Biyani in Toronto and how to make a tandoori oven right in your own back yard (please follow all local and fire safety laws!).
- Cyrus Persian Restaurant (905-448-0892, 563 Ritson Road South, Oshawa ON) - http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/article/133107
- Indian Biyani (416-340-1254, 181, Dundas Street West, Toronto ON) - http://indian-biryani.com/index.php
- Good Eats - The Curious Case of Curry - http://www.instructables.com/id/Garbage-Can-and-Flower-Pot-Tandoor-Oven/
- French Press Coffee - http://gourmet-coffee-zone.com/french-press-howto.html
- Roasting Your Own Coffee - http://coffeegeek.com/guides/popperroasting
- Travel French Press - http://www.planetarydesign.uscategories.html?cataction=tabletops
This episode is a book review on Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica. It took us over 3 sessions to get this episode down, but felt that there were some really great points to discuss about the Western practice of tipping, even if we didn't necessarily always agree with The Waiter. Thanks for joining us in our first episode back from our July hiatus! We hope you enjoy it, and continue to listen!
- Waiter Rant - http://waiterrant.net/
- Life At TJ's Place - http://tjsplace.blogspot.com/
- The Ever-Expanding American Restaurant Tip By Sara Dickerman (Slate Magazine) - http://www.slate.com/id/2073161