Archive for the 'culture' Category
Sheila's alma mater is doing food education right with Bistro 67, a teaching restaurant that is putting food from the field first and foremost.
We apologize for our long absence - things are finally starting to settle down for us, so hopefully we'll be able to go back to at least a monthly show schedule.
- Jo's Brooklyn Bagel (814) 520-6246 (833 West 38th St, Erie PA) - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/133/1510437/restaurant/Jos-Brooklyn-Bagel-Erie
- Lakeside Bagel (814) 734-8590 (318 W Plum St, Edinboro PA) - http://www.lakesidebagel.com/
- Slate article - A Short History of the Bagel - http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2008/11/a_short_history_of_the_bagel.html
This week's episode is a review of The Devil's Picnic by Montreal author Taras Gresco... an exploration of forbidden foods in various cultures.
- Taras Gresco's website - http://www.tarasgrescoe.com/
- The Devil's Picnic - http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Devils-Picnic-Grescoe-Taras/?isbn=9780002007801
Stuttering John's now has a food cart in front of the restaurant for quick BBQ fixes - be sure to try the pulled pork topped hotdogs! Also, we discuss the newly available on Netflix TED Talks: Chew on This series...and becoming 5 day vegetarians!
- Stuttering John's - http://stutteringjohnsbistro.com/
- TED Talks - http://www.ted.com/talks
- Mary Roach - http://www.maryroach.net/
- Jamie Oliver's School Dinners - http://www.jamieoliver.com/school-dinners
- Dan Barber - http://www.ted.com/speakers/dan_barber.html
- Eduardo Sousa's ethical fois gras site - http://www.lapateria.eu/home.html
- Jennifer Street Porter on the F Word with Gordan Ramsay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJf6_cchSEE
- Jennifer 8. Lee - http://jenny8lee.com/
- Graham Hill - http://www.ted.com/talks/graham_hill_weekday_vegetarian.html
- 20 for 20 - http://allrecipes.com/howto/twenty-for-twenty-vegetarian-edition/
- post punk kitchen - http://www.theppk.com/
This week we talk about more chocolate - the chocolate bars unique to and in common between the UK, USA and Canada. Then, we have a review for Big Boy Burgers in Whitby. Enjoy!
- Bulk Barn - http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/index.html
- Candy Freak by Steve Almond - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50906.Candyfreak
- Valomilk - http://www.valomilk.com/
- Lake Champlain Chocolates (home of the Five Star Bar) - http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/
- Clark Bar - http://www.necco.com/ourbrands/default.asp?brandid=9
- The Jersey Giant Pub - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/10/132573/restaurant/St-Lawrence-Market-Old-Town/Jersey-Giant-Toronto
- St. Lawrence Market - http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/
- Brown Brothers Meat - http://www.yelp.ca/biz/brown-brothers-meat-toronto
- Kozlik's Mustard - http://www.mustardmaker.com/
- Geocaching - http://www.geocaching.com/
- Sneaky Dee's - http://sneaky-dees.com/home/
- Black Oak Brewing Company - http://blackoakbeer.com/
- Chocosol Fair Trade Chocolate - http://chocosol.posterous.com/
- The Sassy Lamb - http://www.thesassylamb.com/slsite/The_Sassy_Lamb/Home.html
This week's episode is a book review of Anthony Bourdain's Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook. Check it out!
Medium Raw on HarperCollins (Canada) - http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Medium-Raw-Anthony-Bourdain/
Trinity Irish Pub's first annual Burns Dinner was a complete success! Join us for a run down of the fair Scotches and Scottish fare that we enjoyed on January 24, 2012.
- Trinity Irish Pub - http://www.trinityirishpub.ca/
- Scotland's Official Burns Night Website - http://www.scotland.org/culture/festivals/burns-night/
- The Black Grouse - http://www.thefamousgrouse.com/lda/
- The Macallan - http://www.themacallan.com/home.aspx
- Highland Park - http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/
- Laphroaig - http://www.laphroaig.com/