Archive for the 'dessert island' Category
In this week's episode, we explore two great Mexican restaurants that are great at different things: Mexican Lindo and Jimmy Guaco's. Check 'em out, and also look for Alexander Keith's new cider at the LCBO.
- Mexican Lindo - http://www.mexicolindooshawa.ca/
- Jimmy Guaco's - http://www.jimmyguacoburritos.com/
- Keith's Cider article - http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2012/03/27/labatt-adds-cider-to-alexander-keiths-line-up/
- Bulk Barn - http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/index.html
- Candy Freak by Steve Almond - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50906.Candyfreak
- Valomilk - http://www.valomilk.com/
- Lake Champlain Chocolates (home of the Five Star Bar) - http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/
- Clark Bar - http://www.necco.com/ourbrands/default.asp?brandid=9
- The Jersey Giant Pub - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/10/132573/restaurant/St-Lawrence-Market-Old-Town/Jersey-Giant-Toronto
- St. Lawrence Market - http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/
- Brown Brothers Meat - http://www.yelp.ca/biz/brown-brothers-meat-toronto
- Kozlik's Mustard - http://www.mustardmaker.com/
- Geocaching - http://www.geocaching.com/
- Sneaky Dee's - http://sneaky-dees.com/home/
- Black Oak Brewing Company - http://blackoakbeer.com/
- Chocosol Fair Trade Chocolate - http://chocosol.posterous.com/
- The Sassy Lamb - http://www.thesassylamb.com/slsite/The_Sassy_Lamb/Home.html
This week's episode is a day early for Halloween! We discuss the delicious food at a reputedly haunted pub, Halloween's origins and different foods associated with it as well as other holidays that offer food to the dead. More pictures to come!
No matter where you live, there is bound to be a farmer's market near you. Eating locally has never been easier! This episode is about just some of the many prepared food vendors at the Oshawa Center farmer's market.
Green Belt Fresh (Farmer's Market Locator for Ontario) - http://greenbeltfresh.ca/ A Taste of Russia - http://atasteofrussia.ca/locations.htm Kyoto Coffee - http://www.kyotocoffee.ca/ Sticklings Bakery - http://www.sticklingsbakery.com/
Usually we avoid trendy places, instead looking for great food at affordable prices - well, aZian seems to offer all three under one roof, as well as one of our favourite cuisines - Asian!
- aZian (1365 Wilson Road North #2, Oshawa ON) - http://www.azian.ca/
- Japanese funerary rites and how they apply to stainless steel chopsticks - http:/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_funeral
- All you need to know about chopsticks in one place. Yes, we love wikipedia. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsticks
- Yes, more Wikipedia...but about mochi! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi
We hated to say farewell to Montreal, but we shall definitely return again someday. So many delicious food and drink, so little time!
- Dunn's Famous Restaurant (1249 Metcalfe) - http://www.dunnsfamous.com/montreal_smoked_meat.htm
- Marche Bonsecour (350 rue St. Paul Est) - http://www.aviewoncities.com/montreal/marchebonsecours.htm
- Jacek Yerka - http://www.yerkaland.com/
- Kunst Bar Animation - http://www.whitehouseanimationinc.com/kunstbar.htm
- SpecialTea (corner of René-Lévesque and Clark) - http://specialtea.ca/
- Dragon's Beard Candy - http://montreal.about.com/od/foodwine/ss/dragon_beard_candy_johnny_chin.htm
- La Belle Gueule by Brasseurs RJ - http://www.brasseursrj.com/belle_gueule_an.htm
Links of Interest:
- Mariposa Market (109 Mississaga Street East, Orillia ON) - http://www.mariposamarket.ca/
- Apple Annie's (109 & 101 Mississaga Street East, Orillia ON) - http://www.appleannies.ca/
- The Different Drum (defunct)(Oshawa, ON) - http://gl-es.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2265241732&ref=share
- The Velvet Elvis (defunct)(Oshawa, ON) - http://www.myspace.com/the_velvet_elvis
- The Blue Moose (248 Walnut St, Morgantown WV) - http://www.thebluemoosecafe.com/
- Rachel Eddy - http://www.myspace.com/banjorachel
- Almost Heaven Desserts & Coffee Bar (10 Commerce Drive, Westover WV) - http://almostheavendesserts.com/
- Tim Hortons - http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/
- Panera - http://www.panerabread.com/
We all scream for it, so grab a cone or bowl of your favourite frozen treat and enjoy the show!
Original photo from Iman's Flickr - for source click HERE.
Links of Interest:
Please follow us on facebook, MySpace and twitter! You can find us under email@example.com. If you like what you hear, spread the word and tell your friends about us. Our theme music is "Hot Swing" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0. This podcast is also protected under Creative Commons Attribution 3 - copy it, share it, but please give credit!
Looking back at this episode, we forgot to even really discuss the origins of the carnival. But, it's probably nothing you haven't already seen on the History Channel. In case you missed every show that's been on about Mardi Gras, check out this great article from Wikipedia about the different carnivals and festivals of the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival.
Links of Interest (lots of links this time, we covered a LOT of food!):
- Streetfood - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_food
- Kennywood - http://www.kennywood.com
- Poutine - http://www.members.shaw.ca/kcic1/poutine.html
- Cotton Candy/Candy Floss - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_candy
- Tiny Donut Maker Video (Minnesota State Fair) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuDJVJH-ak
- Funnel Cakes (another great Penn Dutch invention!) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnel_cake
- Canada's Wonderland - http://www.canadaswonderland.com
- The Canadian National Exhibition (The "CNE" or "The Ex" for short) - http://www.theex.com
- Wasaga Beach Funnel Cakes thread - http://soompi.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t282846.html
- Butter Tarts - http://archives.cbc.ca/lifestyle/food/topics/1371-8373/
- Butter Tart Toronto Star Article - http://www.thestar.com/Life/article/211699
- Yakitori - http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e102.html
- Penny Licks - http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Product.aspx?cref=TTSPR594608&rid=51&cid=6
- Chinese Street Food - http://www.goworldtravel.com/ex/aspx/articleGuid.687711d7-d896-40e1-9c1c-21e4b1e4f6ed/xe/article.htm
- World's Best Street Food Article - http://www.frommers.com/articles/4570.html
- German Street Food Video (Youtube) -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3CX81Et92M