Archive for the 'diners' Category
This week we talk about more chocolate - the chocolate bars unique to and in common between the UK, USA and Canada. Then, we have a review for Big Boy Burgers in Whitby. Enjoy!
This week's episode feature three great places in Erie PA and two delicious drinks!
- Famous Dave's BBQ - http://www.famousdaves.com/
- Tickle's Deli (Erie, PA) - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tickles-Deli/290383773590
- The Brewerie - http://brewerie.com/
- The Famous Grouse/The Black Grouse Blended Scotch Whiskey - http://www.thefamousgrouse.com/lda/
- Dark and Stormy cocktail - http://www.goslingsrum.com/recipe_detail.asp?RecipeID=192
In August we met up with our good friends Jamie and Daisy to explore Kingston. The only thing we really had planned was to take them out for dinner at the Kingston Brewing Company. We found lots of great places to eat, and they were good enough to come on the show and talk about what we discovered in Kingston together!
Slyboro Cider House (NY) - http://www.slyboro.com/ Kingston's Market Square - http://www.whatsonkingston.com/tourism/market/index.html Kingston Brewing Company - http://www.kingstonbrewing.ca/our_beer.html The Toucan - http://www.thetoucan.ca/ Star Diner - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/242/1461612/restaurant/Ontario/Star-Diner-Kingston
Ah, a new year, and hopefully a good one for our listeners and us.
The Dubliner (1121 Dundas Street East, Whitby ON) - http://dubliner.ca/home.html
Shake, Rabble, Roll (939 Dundas St . W. Whitby ON) - http://shakerabbleroll.com/
Pictures will be forthcoming - but here is out episode about a small but amazing fried chicken chain in Ontario - Chick N' Joy. We also talk a bit about the origins of fried chicken and why it is associated with certain demographics...
- Chick N' Joy - http://chicknjoy.com/
- Food for Thought: Race, Region, Identity, and Foodways in the American South by Beth A. Latshaw - http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals/southern_cultures/v015/15.4.latshaw.html
- Soul Food - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_food
This weeks episode is a rerun of our May 18th 2009 show about Canadian breakfast featuring The Rainbow in Oshawa and Hill's in Orillia. We're currently working on a cereal episode and need to do some further research before we put voice to recorder. Also, we might as well upload this one again since podbean seems to have misplaced the original ep.
We greatly apologize for the lateness of our 50th episode, but it couldn't be helped since Sheila spent all of last week in Toronto working security for the G20 Summit. Here's a great episode for you though, of a rural Ontario tradition - Haugen's BBQ! They have amazing rotisserie chicken, and are a hub for many car cruises.
- Haugen's Chicken and Ribs BBQ - http://www.haugensbbq.com/
- Aha!! Chicken skin won't kill you quickly! - http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfitness/diet/article/788197--chicken-skin-good-for-you-after-all
- Delicious, tasty chicken in the Hopewell, PA area - http://www.haroldsinnrestaurant.com
This weeks episode is about an Oshawa fixture and a new food-centric manga that we found!
- Dines Family Restaurant (400 King Street West, Oshawa ON - (905) 723-5951) - http://www.restaurantica.com/on/oshawa/dines-family-restaurant/23012571/
- Oishimbo: Izakaya -- Pub Food, Vol. 7 - http://www.viz.com/products/products.php?product_id=7495
Spencer came up to visit us the week of St. Patrick's. He's a fan of the podcast so there were a bunch of places he wanted to go, and as if we were going to deny him! The three of us checked out Rolling Pot (no pics, sorry - just check out our previous pictures and superimpose Spencer's jovial face into the scenes of your choice), The Rainbow, Viva Burritos, Go Believe Sushi, Teddy's and picked up pepperettes at the Three Little Pigs. Having him as a guest host and honourary Fat Chick was a blast! Hope you enjoy the episode as much as we enjoyed recording it.
- Bawls - http://www.bawls.com/
- Havana Club Rum - http://www.havana-club.com/en
- Three Little Pigs - http://www.courticefleamarket.com/food_directory.html
- Follow viva Burritos on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=163453418452&ref=ts
Want to see more pics? Check out our album on facebook! - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13311&id=1725355827
Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom’s. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.” -- Nelson Algren, A Walk on The Wild Side (1956)
In this week's episode, we discuss a hidden gem called Momma's that brings the lunch counter back to the present and into a mall! We also have sad news regarding Pete's Open Kitchen (which we really hope is reversed), and some info about the next episode, which will be recorded this week with a special guest.
For your viewing pleasure, two semi-related videos:
- Warrior in Woolworth's by the Xray Spex (vintage punk) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NYrIUG518
- Five and Dime from Reefer Madness the Musical (no nudity or swearing, but possibly NSFW due to a steamy tango scene at the end featuring Neve Campbell & Steven Weber) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9NCWQdBp0&feature=fvw