Archive for the 'local eating/locavore' Category
Sheila's alma mater is doing food education right with Bistro 67, a teaching restaurant that is putting food from the field first and foremost.
Sorry for the re-run, folks, but some stuff came up and we've been unable to record. Enjoy this blast from the past and consider eating close to home as the warm weather brings the farmers' markets out!
In August we met up with our good friends Jamie and Daisy to explore Kingston. The only thing we really had planned was to take them out for dinner at the Kingston Brewing Company. We found lots of great places to eat, and they were good enough to come on the show and talk about what we discovered in Kingston together!
Slyboro Cider House (NY) - http://www.slyboro.com/ Kingston's Market Square - http://www.whatsonkingston.com/tourism/market/index.html Kingston Brewing Company - http://www.kingstonbrewing.ca/our_beer.html The Toucan - http://www.thetoucan.ca/ Star Diner - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/242/1461612/restaurant/Ontario/Star-Diner-Kingston
This episode had to be re-recorded three times and then Sheila had to recreate the Outro since our hard drive crashed last week, so hopefully everyone enjoys this episode. Also, this is the first time we've recorded an episode on Tracy's iPod, so if you like the quality of it, let us know in an e-mail or facebook wall post. We'll be going on vacation next week, so as usual, the podcast remains irregular. Enjoy!
Pictures will be forthcoming - but here is out episode about a small but amazing fried chicken chain in Ontario - Chick N' Joy. We also talk a bit about the origins of fried chicken and why it is associated with certain demographics...
- Chick N' Joy - http://chicknjoy.com/
- Food for Thought: Race, Region, Identity, and Foodways in the American South by Beth A. Latshaw - http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals/southern_cultures/v015/15.4.latshaw.html
- Soul Food - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_food
This week's episode talks about Kitchen Con by Trevor White, restaurant reviewing, 40 Creek Double Barrel Reserve and a bunch of other topics. We also went back to Azian, and had their house fried rice - expensive but SOOOOO good for a treat!
- Kitchen Con by Trevor White - http://www.kitchencon.com/index.htm">http://www.kitchencon.com/index.htm
- Glass House Grill - http://www.theglasshousegrille.com/
- Michelin Stars - http://www.michelinguide.com/us/index.html
- Ratatouille - http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/ratatouille/
- Zagat Guide - http://www.zagat.com/
- Lancaster PA Couple Arrested For Not Tipping - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6637437/Couple-arrested-over-theft-for-refusing-to-tip-in-restaurant.html
- Azian - http://www.azian.ca/
- 40 Creek Double Barrel Reserve - http://www.canadianwhisky.org/reviews/forty-creek-double-barrel-reserve-40-alc-vol.html
- 100 mile diet episode - http://zweifatchicks.podbean.com/2009/06/22/ep-7-take-two-100-mile-diet/
- canola/rapeseed - http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/rapeseed-colza/rcm-mrc-eng.htm
We have a quite a potpourri episode for you today. Happy Labour/Labor Day! First, two local restaurant reviews: The Bull Dog Pub and Gold Boat Fish & Chips (that we so erroniously called Golden Sail - sorry!!). Then we move on to discuss another Oishimbo A La Carte Manga - Ramen and Gyoza are the topic of this edition. Enjoy and have a great long weekend!
- The Bull Dog Pub (600 Grandview Drive S., Oshawa ON) - http://www.thebulldogpuboshawa.ca/
- Gold Boat Fish & Chips (283 Dean Ave, Oshawa ON)- http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/oshawa/gold-boat-fish-and-chips/5166427.html
- Oishimbo - Ramen & Gyoza - http://www.comicbookbin.com/oishinboalacarte003.html
- Maus - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus
No matter where you live, there is bound to be a farmer's market near you. Eating locally has never been easier! This episode is about just some of the many prepared food vendors at the Oshawa Center farmer's market.
Green Belt Fresh (Farmer's Market Locator for Ontario) - http://greenbeltfresh.ca/ A Taste of Russia - http://atasteofrussia.ca/locations.htm Kyoto Coffee - http://www.kyotocoffee.ca/ Sticklings Bakery - http://www.sticklingsbakery.com/
Long overdue, here is part one of many episodes about cheese. We give a basic primer on tasting, pairing and varieties of cheese. So, don't be shy, grab some cheese!
- Why is Cheddar Cheese Orange? (The Straight Dope) - http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1284/why-is-cheddar-cheese-orange
- Cheese Pairings - http://www.artisanalcheese.com/pair_wine/
- Wallace & Grommit - http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/
These are but a few websites about cheese making:
- Gourmet Sleuth (Cheesemaking Recipes) - http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Cheese-Making-Recipes-304.aspx
- Glengarry Cheesemaking & Dairy Supply - http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca
Spencer came up to visit us the week of St. Patrick's. He's a fan of the podcast so there were a bunch of places he wanted to go, and as if we were going to deny him! The three of us checked out Rolling Pot (no pics, sorry - just check out our previous pictures and superimpose Spencer's jovial face into the scenes of your choice), The Rainbow, Viva Burritos, Go Believe Sushi, Teddy's and picked up pepperettes at the Three Little Pigs. Having him as a guest host and honourary Fat Chick was a blast! Hope you enjoy the episode as much as we enjoyed recording it.
- Bawls - http://www.bawls.com/
- Havana Club Rum - http://www.havana-club.com/en
- Three Little Pigs - http://www.courticefleamarket.com/food_directory.html
- Follow viva Burritos on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=163453418452&ref=ts
Want to see more pics? Check out our album on facebook! - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13311&id=1725355827