Archive for the 'sandwiches' Category
- The Jersey Giant Pub - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/10/132573/restaurant/St-Lawrence-Market-Old-Town/Jersey-Giant-Toronto
- St. Lawrence Market - http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/
- Brown Brothers Meat - http://www.yelp.ca/biz/brown-brothers-meat-toronto
- Kozlik's Mustard - http://www.mustardmaker.com/
- Geocaching - http://www.geocaching.com/
- Sneaky Dee's - http://sneaky-dees.com/home/
- Black Oak Brewing Company - http://blackoakbeer.com/
- Chocosol Fair Trade Chocolate - http://chocosol.posterous.com/
- The Sassy Lamb - http://www.thesassylamb.com/slsite/The_Sassy_Lamb/Home.html
This week's episode feature three great places in Erie PA and two delicious drinks!
- Famous Dave's BBQ - http://www.famousdaves.com/
- Tickle's Deli (Erie, PA) - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tickles-Deli/290383773590
- The Brewerie - http://brewerie.com/
- The Famous Grouse/The Black Grouse Blended Scotch Whiskey - http://www.thefamousgrouse.com/lda/
- Dark and Stormy cocktail - http://www.goslingsrum.com/recipe_detail.asp?RecipeID=192
Ah, a new year, and hopefully a good one for our listeners and us.
The Dubliner (1121 Dundas Street East, Whitby ON) - http://dubliner.ca/home.html
Shake, Rabble, Roll (939 Dundas St . W. Whitby ON) - http://shakerabbleroll.com/
Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom’s. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.” -- Nelson Algren, A Walk on The Wild Side (1956)
In this week's episode, we discuss a hidden gem called Momma's that brings the lunch counter back to the present and into a mall! We also have sad news regarding Pete's Open Kitchen (which we really hope is reversed), and some info about the next episode, which will be recorded this week with a special guest.
For your viewing pleasure, two semi-related videos:
- Warrior in Woolworth's by the Xray Spex (vintage punk) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NYrIUG518
- Five and Dime from Reefer Madness the Musical (no nudity or swearing, but possibly NSFW due to a steamy tango scene at the end featuring Neve Campbell & Steven Weber) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9NCWQdBp0&feature=fvw
In this episode, recorded on Sheila's birthday, we discuss a great Oshawa lunch spot called Pete's Open Kitchen and wax philosophical about cooks and protective gloves.
- Boxing Day - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day
- Pete's Open Kitchen (20 Simcoe Street South, Oshawa ON, 905-725-7383) - http://www.downtownoshawa.ca/businessdirectory.php?id=150
- Culinary Institute of America (CIA) - http://www.ciachef.edu/
- Down With Gloves by Sara Dickerman - http://www.slate.com/id/2127050/
Check out our photo stream here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/38326366@N03/sets/
We found a great new winery in Stouffville! Also, a long time coming, the great Oshawa landmark - Teddy's!!
- Applewood Farm Winery - http://www.applewoodfarmwinery.com/
- Mead types explained, including cyser - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead
- Port wine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_wine
- The Thomas Jefferson Hour - http://www.jeffersonhour.org/
- Jefferson wine bottle on auction - http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/03/070903fa_fact_keefe - which may be a fake - http://www.grapewallofchina.com/2009/11/13/china-thomas-jefferson-and-fake-wine-benjamin-wallace-author-of-billionaires-vinegar/
- Wine in Virginia (oops! We were wrong!) - http://www.monticellowinetrail.com/
- Info on duties on alcohol when returning to the US (please check official sites before your trip - we're not responsible if this info is outdated!) - http://gocanada.about.com/od/faqscrossingtheborde1/p/duty_free.htm
- Chowhound (It seems like everytime we look a restaurant up here, it's full of negative comments) - http://chowhound.chow.com/boards
We hated to say farewell to Montreal, but we shall definitely return again someday. So many delicious food and drink, so little time!
- Dunn's Famous Restaurant (1249 Metcalfe) - http://www.dunnsfamous.com/montreal_smoked_meat.htm
- Marche Bonsecour (350 rue St. Paul Est) - http://www.aviewoncities.com/montreal/marchebonsecours.htm
- Jacek Yerka - http://www.yerkaland.com/
- Kunst Bar Animation - http://www.whitehouseanimationinc.com/kunstbar.htm
- SpecialTea (corner of René-Lévesque and Clark) - http://specialtea.ca/
- Dragon's Beard Candy - http://montreal.about.com/od/foodwine/ss/dragon_beard_candy_johnny_chin.htm
- La Belle Gueule by Brasseurs RJ - http://www.brasseursrj.com/belle_gueule_an.htm
Forgive the lateness of this episode, but moving really put us behind schedule. We'll try to make it up with a ZFC Snack this week though. Without further ado, art imitating life - food in games!
Links of Interest:
- Lord of the Rings Online - http://lotro.allakhazam.com/db/itemlist.html?itemslot=Food
- Everquest 2 - http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Food_and_drink
- Fable 2 Food Guide - http://www.fablefanboy.com/fable2/guides/food
- Fall Out 3 - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_drugs_and_edibles
^ Example of 1950s style prepared foods from Fall Out 3 by Bethesda Softworks
- The Elder Scrolls - http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ingredients
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gta4/news.html?sid=6103350&mode=previews
- Cooking Mama - http://www.cookingmamacookoff.com/
- Root Beer Tapper - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapper
- Pac Man - http://www.thepcmanwebsite.com/media/pacman_flash/
- Kingdom of Loathing - http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
- Cheapass Games - http://www.cheapass.com/
- Ninja Burger - http://ninjaburger.com/
- Wasabi! - http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/wasabi.htm
On Highway 11, heading up to Ontario's cottage country, there's a great place to stop and grab a bite and ... you know... make a pit stop. Simple, good food at a great price - check it out if you're in the Georgian Bay or Muskoka region.
- Weber's Hamburgers (Highway 11, Ontario) - http://www.webers.com/
- Our Pictures on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/38326366@N03/sets/72157622333809112/
- The Sundial Inn - http://www.staynorth.com/html/orillia.html
- The Sundial, Urban Explored - http://urbexbarrie.blogspot.com/2008/02/sundial-inn.html
- The Gobbler - http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/
- Teepee Hotels - http://www.gonomad.com/destinations/0203/lodging.html
Whether you love pub style fish and chips or you adhere to meatless Fridays at a local fish fry, there are plenty of reasons to love fish and chips. We discuss a couple of our favourites in this episode, so pull up a chair and pass the malt vinegar!
Links of Interest:
- Find a Fish Fry in Pittsburgh - http://kdka.com/local/KDKA.Fish.Fry.2.391577.html
- Long John Silver's - http://www.longjohnsilvers.com/
- Peanut Oil - http://www.mahalo.com/peanut-oil
- Bounty Fish and Chips (18 Colborne St W., Orillia ON) - http://www.weblocal.ca/bounty-fish-chips-orillia-on.html
- Tor's Fish and Chips (149 Mississaga Street E., Orillia ON) - http://foodpages.ca/tors-fish--chips
- Flying Fish and Co. (709 Beechurst Ave # 10, Morgantown WV)- http://www.theglasshousegrille.com/flyingfish.htm
Please follow us on facebook, MySpace and twitter! You can find us under email@example.com. If you like what you hear, spread the word and tell your friends about us. Our theme music is "Hot Swing" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0. This podcast is also protected under Creative Commons Attribuition 3 - copy it, share it, but please give credit!