Archive Page 2
- Jo's Brooklyn Bagel (814) 520-6246 (833 West 38th St, Erie PA) - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/133/1510437/restaurant/Jos-Brooklyn-Bagel-Erie
- Lakeside Bagel (814) 734-8590 (318 W Plum St, Edinboro PA) - http://www.lakesidebagel.com/
- Slate article - A Short History of the Bagel - http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2008/11/a_short_history_of_the_bagel.html
Everyone loves it when an old friend comes over for dinner. And we love dim sum! This is a rerun of our 3rd episode, which was part 1 of an Asian Double Feature. We'll have a fresh episode up for you next week!
This week's episode is a review of The Devil's Picnic by Montreal author Taras Gresco... an exploration of forbidden foods in various cultures.
- Taras Gresco's website - http://www.tarasgrescoe.com/
- The Devil's Picnic - http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Devils-Picnic-Grescoe-Taras/?isbn=9780002007801
Our very first vidcast - we hope to do more of these in the future, but keep 'em short and supplemental.
John's Uncle Al gifted him with a wonderful bottle of 10 Year Old Glenkinchie - which isn't in production anymore and that Tio Al has had forever. John was gracious enough to share the first sip with us - truly a once in a lifetime opportunity that we are incredibly thankful for.
- We are using Whiskey Rocks, as seen on Think Geek - but we got ours from Chapters/Indigo: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/gifts/Whiskey-Rocks/837654927410-item.html These soapstone cubes cool the scotch while giving you the option to control how much water you'd like to add. Yes, we like our scotch at "castle temperature".
Thanks again, John and Tio Al for sharing!
Stuttering John's now has a food cart in front of the restaurant for quick BBQ fixes - be sure to try the pulled pork topped hotdogs! Also, we discuss the newly available on Netflix TED Talks: Chew on This series...and becoming 5 day vegetarians!
- Stuttering John's - http://stutteringjohnsbistro.com/
- TED Talks - http://www.ted.com/talks
- Mary Roach - http://www.maryroach.net/
- Jamie Oliver's School Dinners - http://www.jamieoliver.com/school-dinners
- Dan Barber - http://www.ted.com/speakers/dan_barber.html
- Eduardo Sousa's ethical fois gras site - http://www.lapateria.eu/home.html
- Jennifer Street Porter on the F Word with Gordan Ramsay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJf6_cchSEE
- Jennifer 8. Lee - http://jenny8lee.com/
- Graham Hill - http://www.ted.com/talks/graham_hill_weekday_vegetarian.html
- 20 for 20 - http://allrecipes.com/howto/twenty-for-twenty-vegetarian-edition/
- post punk kitchen - http://www.theppk.com/
In this week's episode, we explore two great Mexican restaurants that are great at different things: Mexican Lindo and Jimmy Guaco's. Check 'em out, and also look for Alexander Keith's new cider at the LCBO.
- Mexican Lindo - http://www.mexicolindooshawa.ca/
- Jimmy Guaco's - http://www.jimmyguacoburritos.com/
- Keith's Cider article - http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2012/03/27/labatt-adds-cider-to-alexander-keiths-line-up/
Sorry for the re-run, folks, but some stuff came up and we've been unable to record. Enjoy this blast from the past and consider eating close to home as the warm weather brings the farmers' markets out!
This week we talk about more chocolate - the chocolate bars unique to and in common between the UK, USA and Canada. Then, we have a review for Big Boy Burgers in Whitby. Enjoy!
- Bulk Barn - http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/index.html
- Candy Freak by Steve Almond - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50906.Candyfreak
- Valomilk - http://www.valomilk.com/
- Lake Champlain Chocolates (home of the Five Star Bar) - http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/
- Clark Bar - http://www.necco.com/ourbrands/default.asp?brandid=9