Archive for March 2010
Spencer came up to visit us the week of St. Patrick's. He's a fan of the podcast so there were a bunch of places he wanted to go, and as if we were going to deny him! The three of us checked out Rolling Pot (no pics, sorry - just check out our previous pictures and superimpose Spencer's jovial face into the scenes of your choice), The Rainbow, Viva Burritos, Go Believe Sushi, Teddy's and picked up pepperettes at the Three Little Pigs. Having him as a guest host and honourary Fat Chick was a blast! Hope you enjoy the episode as much as we enjoyed recording it.
- Bawls - http://www.bawls.com/
- Havana Club Rum - http://www.havana-club.com/en
- Three Little Pigs - http://www.courticefleamarket.com/food_directory.html
- Follow viva Burritos on facebook - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=163453418452&ref=ts
Want to see more pics? Check out our album on facebook! - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13311&id=1725355827
Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom’s. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.” -- Nelson Algren, A Walk on The Wild Side (1956)
In this week's episode, we discuss a hidden gem called Momma's that brings the lunch counter back to the present and into a mall! We also have sad news regarding Pete's Open Kitchen (which we really hope is reversed), and some info about the next episode, which will be recorded this week with a special guest.
For your viewing pleasure, two semi-related videos:
- Warrior in Woolworth's by the Xray Spex (vintage punk) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NYrIUG518
- Five and Dime from Reefer Madness the Musical (no nudity or swearing, but possibly NSFW due to a steamy tango scene at the end featuring Neve Campbell & Steven Weber) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9NCWQdBp0&feature=fvw
In this week's episode, we review a great local sushi place. If that's not enough delicious, delicate raw fish for you, Tracy also does a book report on Sushi Economy. If that's too much raw fish for you, I suggest going back and listening to Episode 8 - Burgers!
Go Believe Sushi (1801 Dundas Street East, Whitby ON, 905-438-9988) - http://www.gobelievesushi.com/
Sushi Economy by Sasha Issenberg - http://www.penguin.ca/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781592402946,00.html
With St. Patrick's being only 17 days away, here are two great pubs that we've scouted out for your pleasure. This isn't a pub cast (although beer selection is discussed), but focuses on the amazing food of two fine establishments. Willie Stout's of Toronto makes burgers more then just pub grub, and fosters the community feeling of a "public house". J.P. Fitzpatrick & Sons offers traditional Irish dishes with a gourmet spin, right next to one of the best movie theaters (in our opinion) of Durham Region. You don't have to be a beer enthusiast - although it doesn't hurt! - to sit down in either and enjoy a great lunch or dinner.
Willie Stout's (2175 Sheppard Ave E, Toronto ON) - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148647335756
- J.P. Fitzpatrick & Sons Irish Pub and Restaurant (75 Consumers Dr, Whitby ON) - http://www.jpfitzirishpub.ca