Archive for the 'medieval/historical cooking' Category
Trinity Irish Pub's first annual Burns Dinner was a complete success! Join us for a run down of the fair Scotches and Scottish fare that we enjoyed on January 24, 2012.
- Trinity Irish Pub - http://www.trinityirishpub.ca/
- Scotland's Official Burns Night Website - http://www.scotland.org/culture/festivals/burns-night/
- The Black Grouse - http://www.thefamousgrouse.com/lda/
- The Macallan - http://www.themacallan.com/home.aspx
- Highland Park - http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/
- Laphroaig - http://www.laphroaig.com/
This week's episode is a day early for Halloween! We discuss the delicious food at a reputedly haunted pub, Halloween's origins and different foods associated with it as well as other holidays that offer food to the dead. More pictures to come!
We like to think of ourselves as being culinary adventurous, but travel costs a lot of money, so until we get a radio or TV show we have to make due with the magic of books to transport us to exotic edibles and forbidden foods. Tom's book (believe us, Mr. Bowles, it's better we refer to you informally in the show so we'll stop butchering your last name) is just the ticket to reading about dishes that you could only imagine yourself eating (or not eating).
- The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/617964
- Tom Parker Bowles' Archive on the Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/columnist-1003632/Tom-Parker-Bowles.html
- Food Legends: Gloucester Elvers - http://www.information-britain.co.uk/food/foodlegends/Gloucester%20elvers/
- NMSU Chile Pepper Instutite - http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/
- Fiery Foods Show - http://www.fiery-foods.com/
- Time Out Beijing Insect Delicacies - http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/restaurants/feature/3644/insect-delicacies.html
- Prince's Hot Chicken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg
- Jack Daniel's Invitational BBQ - http://www.jackdaniels.com/TheDistillery/InvitationalBBQ.aspx
- Fugu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu
- Asian Animal Protection Network Food Dogs Website (WARNING: there are GRAPHIC pictures of how dogs are kept and treated cruelly in order to make their meat "better") - http://www.aapn.org/fooddogs.html
- BBC In Pictures: Unusual Lao Cuisine - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/asia_pac_unusual_lao_cuisine/html/1.stm
- Spanish Barnacles - http://www.iberianature.com/material/barnacles.htm
- Best of Sicily: Sicilian Cuisine - http://www.bestofsicily.com/food.htm
Long overdue, here is part one of many episodes about cheese. We give a basic primer on tasting, pairing and varieties of cheese. So, don't be shy, grab some cheese!
- Why is Cheddar Cheese Orange? (The Straight Dope) - http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1284/why-is-cheddar-cheese-orange
- Cheese Pairings - http://www.artisanalcheese.com/pair_wine/
- Wallace & Grommit - http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/
These are but a few websites about cheese making:
- Gourmet Sleuth (Cheesemaking Recipes) - http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Cheese-Making-Recipes-304.aspx
- Glengarry Cheesemaking & Dairy Supply - http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca
The Good Fare and Cheer of Old England is a book we discovered at the Orillia Library. We loved it so much we bought a copy, and felt it needed it's own ZFC show to spread the word about how great a book it is! We are going to look into the copyright information (so far it looks like it has not been renewed and has fallen into Public Domain), so we are also going to work on creating an Audiobook version of it.
Links of Interest:
- Add All Book Search and Price Comparison - http://openlibrary.org/b/OL5794571M/good_fare_and_cheer_of_old_England
- Buy GF&C of Old E Used on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X78APM/ref=cm_cr_thx_view
- Joan Parry Dutton's Library Thing Page - http://www.librarything.com/author/duttonjoanparry
James Keiller and Sons of Dundee Marmalade
- Keiller's: Sticky Success - http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/work/scotland/perth_tayside/
- Mrs. Keiller's Marmalade Recipe - http://www.scotsindependent.org/features/food/dundee_marmalade.htm
- Knob Hill Farms - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob_Hill_Farms
- Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Wererabbit - http://www.wandg.com/
- Slate - How Cost-Effective Is It To Make Homemade Pantry Staples? - http://www.slate.com/id/2216611/pagenum/all/
- Medieval Cooking Blog - Post Mondern Friday: Being Thrifty -http://medievalcooking.org/2009/05/15/post-modern-friday-being-thrifty/
Here is our first episode recorded since we came back from Montreal, hope you enjoy it! A couple of corrections to our prattling:
- Cilantro is indeed from Southern Europe and Asia, not North America
- AJ Minati was the brother in the Exploding Barrel podcast that mentioned LuLu's Noodles in The Pitt expansion of Fall Out 3.
- Imperial China Buffet (5138 Peach Street, Erie PA) - http://www.yelp.com/biz/imperial-china-buffet-erie
- Books Galore (5546 Peach Street, Erie PA) - http://www.myspace.com/eriebooksgalore
- Lulu's Noodles (400 S Craig Street, Pittsburgh PA) - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/23/271003/restaurant/Oakland/Lu-Lus-Noodles-Pittsburgh
- Pad Thai - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_Thai
- Chop Suey - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_suey
- Trader Joe's - http://www.traderjoes.com/
- Phantom of the Attic Comics (Second Floor, 406 South Craig Street, Pittsburgh PA) - http://www.myspace.com/pota_comics
Unfortunately, for the last few weeks, the Zwei Fat Chicks have had the flu and were unable to record.
Fortunately, we have an unreleased snack to placate you with! We incorrectly refer to the show as "Clarissa and the King's Table" - it is actually "Clarissa and the King's Cookbook" and we found an educational site that you can watch the video on for free:
For more information, check out BBC Four's website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/medieval/cookbook.shtml
Forgive the lateness of this episode, but moving really put us behind schedule. We'll try to make it up with a ZFC Snack this week though. Without further ado, art imitating life - food in games!
Links of Interest:
- Lord of the Rings Online - http://lotro.allakhazam.com/db/itemlist.html?itemslot=Food
- Everquest 2 - http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Food_and_drink
- Fable 2 Food Guide - http://www.fablefanboy.com/fable2/guides/food
- Fall Out 3 - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_drugs_and_edibles
^ Example of 1950s style prepared foods from Fall Out 3 by Bethesda Softworks
- The Elder Scrolls - http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ingredients
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gta4/news.html?sid=6103350&mode=previews
- Cooking Mama - http://www.cookingmamacookoff.com/
- Root Beer Tapper - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapper
- Pac Man - http://www.thepcmanwebsite.com/media/pacman_flash/
- Kingdom of Loathing - http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
- Cheapass Games - http://www.cheapass.com/
- Ninja Burger - http://ninjaburger.com/
- Wasabi! - http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/wasabi.htm
Our review and discussion on Last Chance to Eat by Gina Mallet, who explores how certain foods are in danger of being demonized and regulated to extinction. Gina is a food writer and critic for the National Post newspaper (Canada).
- Gina Mallet's Website - http://ginamallet.com/
- Anthony Bourdain's Travel Blog - http://anthony-bourdain-blog.travelchannel.com/
Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food meet in the middle and produce some tasty dishes, as well as overlaps in culture. You'll find many Greek/Lebanese/Turkish/Macedonian/Exotic restaurants in most major cities. This episode is devoted to Mediterranean/Middle Eastern restaurants that are dear to our hearts - from the feta to falafels, grape leaves to gyros!
Links of Interest:
- Kabab House (98 Dunlop Street East, Barrie ON) - http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Barrie/House-Kabab/5919620.html
- Mediterranean Market (350 High St., Morgantown WV) - http://www.10best.com/Morgantown,WV/Restaurants/Best_Restaurants/61124/Mediterranean_Market_&_Deli_Morgantown_WV/
- Khalil's II - http://www.khalils.biz/
- Trader Joe's - http://www.traderjoes.com/index.htm
- Hookah Bars in the US & Canada - http://www.hookahculture.com/hookah_lounges.htm
- Turkish Coffee Tutorial - http://www.howtobrewcoffee.com/Turkish.htm
- Your Inner Vagabond - http://www.yourinnervagabond.com/
Please follow us on facebook, MySpace and twitter! You can find us under email@example.com. If you like what you hear, spread the word and tell your friends about us. Our theme music is "Hot Swing" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0. This podcast is also protected under Creative Commons Attribution 3 - copy it, share it, but please give credit!