Archive for May 2010
We like to think of ourselves as being culinary adventurous, but travel costs a lot of money, so until we get a radio or TV show we have to make due with the magic of books to transport us to exotic edibles and forbidden foods. Tom's book (believe us, Mr. Bowles, it's better we refer to you informally in the show so we'll stop butchering your last name) is just the ticket to reading about dishes that you could only imagine yourself eating (or not eating).
- The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/617964
- Tom Parker Bowles' Archive on the Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/columnist-1003632/Tom-Parker-Bowles.html
- Food Legends: Gloucester Elvers - http://www.information-britain.co.uk/food/foodlegends/Gloucester%20elvers/
- NMSU Chile Pepper Instutite - http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/
- Fiery Foods Show - http://www.fiery-foods.com/
- Time Out Beijing Insect Delicacies - http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/restaurants/feature/3644/insect-delicacies.html
- Prince's Hot Chicken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg
- Jack Daniel's Invitational BBQ - http://www.jackdaniels.com/TheDistillery/InvitationalBBQ.aspx
- Fugu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu
- Asian Animal Protection Network Food Dogs Website (WARNING: there are GRAPHIC pictures of how dogs are kept and treated cruelly in order to make their meat "better") - http://www.aapn.org/fooddogs.html
- BBC In Pictures: Unusual Lao Cuisine - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/asia_pac_unusual_lao_cuisine/html/1.stm
- Spanish Barnacles - http://www.iberianature.com/material/barnacles.htm
- Best of Sicily: Sicilian Cuisine - http://www.bestofsicily.com/food.htm
This episode we review an regional Ontario chain - Lick's! We also found *another* all you can eat sushi place in Durham Region that kicks major butt and some tasting notes on Forty Creek Canadian Whiskey. And if you are from Pittsburgh or are a transplant from that great city, check out the Burghseye View podcast for some candid talk about... well... everything from the 'Burgh.
- Lick's - http://www.lickshomeburgers.com/
- Tokushima (250 Taunton Road East, Oshawa ON) - http://www.restaurantica.com/on/oshawa/tokushima-sushi/23503738/
- Forty Creek Whisky - http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com
- Burgseye View Blog (Explicit! Whoo hoo!) - http://www.burghseyeview.wordpress.com/
This week's episode discusses a curry restaurant in Oshawa, as well as our respective first times eating at Indian or "Curry" restaurants. Mmmmm! Pardon the gratuitous Red Dwarf references. Tracy also does a quick review of yet another book about the pleasures of tasty adult beverages - Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis.
- Red Dwarf Official UK Site - http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/index.cfm
- Cafe of India (reopened in a new location! 1894B Mileground Rd., Morgantown WV) - http://www.cafeofindia.net/
- Tamarind Flavor of India (257 N. Craig Street, Pittburgh PA) - http://www.tamarindpa.com/tfi/index.shtml
- Curry Club (38 Simcoe St N, Oshawa ON) - http://www.goldbook.ca/ajax/Restaurants/16489_Curry-Club-Restaurant.html
- Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/399573.Everyday_Drinking
It's been one year (roughly) of doing the podcast, and while we always try to do positive and professional reviews, we thought we'd take a page from Spongebob's Opposite Day and do an episode about the worst of the worst. Submitted for your entrainment, a little bit of uncharacteristic snark from the Fat Chicks!
We understand that you may not agree, and that we may be ripping on your favourite place. For that, we apologize for our poor luck at being unfortunate enough to receive bad food/bad service. Please direct all hatemail to: zweifatchicks (at) gmail (dot) com.
This ep does also talk about Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, although not in a snarky way.
- Jamie Oliver's Ted Acceptance speech - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwrV5e6fMY&feature=PlayList&p=1C84E0ED96D3F0C1&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1
- Banning of toys in kids meals - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126386935 and http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/28/fast.food.toys.california/index.html
- Madeleine's, in Morgantown - http://www.madeleinesonline.com/ (we love Madeline's and recommend going here... instead of the other places mentioned!)
This episode is about The Gospel of Food by Barry Glassner and wanted to discuss the common myths and misconceptions around food within this book; Tracy recently read it and thought that it would make a great episode. Well, there were many interesting points in the conversation and at one hour and fifteen minutes in length, there is a lot of food for thought... about food.