Archive for the 'Chinese' Category
We're still doing research on a couple of great places and Tracy's in the middle of a book, so please enjoy part 2 of our Asian Double Feature!
Everyone loves it when an old friend comes over for dinner. And we love dim sum! This is a rerun of our 3rd episode, which was part 1 of an Asian Double Feature. We'll have a fresh episode up for you next week!
This episode is three pretty unrelated things (except for the fact that all three things are unhealthy/fried). We still have Disney part 2 to edit and we just recorded an episode about Mill Street Brewery and Izumi fresh pressed sake made right in downtown Toronto! Try and stay cool everyone!
The good news: Sheila is now working full time. The bad news: We don't have as much time to go out for lunch anymore (since she's on midnights and is usually asleep while all the lunch specials winnow away). But, we are going to make an effort to put the podcast out at least bi-weekly, and we recently took a trip to Toronto!
- Not Just Noodles ((416) 960-8898, 570 Yonge St., Toronto ON) - http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/10/133935/restaurant/Downtown-University-of-Toronto/Not-Just-Noodles-Toronto
- Big Daddy's Crabshack & Oyster Bar - ((416) 599-5200, 212 King Street West, Toronto ON) - http://www.bigdaddys.ca/
All In This Tea - http://www.lesblank.com/more/TeaFilm.html
Happy Thanksgiving, Fellow Canadians!
This week's episode covers another installment of Oishimbo (this time an overview of Japanese cuisine), and reviews of a local Italian bakery and the Moon Festival offerings of Mandarin Buffet (pictures coming of the later as soon as they're off Tracy's phone).
- Oishimbo - Japanese Cuisine - http://comicsworthreading.com/2009/05/13/oishinbo-a-la-carte-1-japanese-cuisine/
- The Baker's Table (227 Bloor Street E, Oshawa ON, 905-435-1036) - http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bakers-table-oshawa
- Mandarin Buffet - http://www.mandarinbuffet.com/main.asp
This week's episode talks about Kitchen Con by Trevor White, restaurant reviewing, 40 Creek Double Barrel Reserve and a bunch of other topics. We also went back to Azian, and had their house fried rice - expensive but SOOOOO good for a treat!
- Kitchen Con by Trevor White - http://www.kitchencon.com/index.htm">http://www.kitchencon.com/index.htm
- Glass House Grill - http://www.theglasshousegrille.com/
- Michelin Stars - http://www.michelinguide.com/us/index.html
- Ratatouille - http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/ratatouille/
- Zagat Guide - http://www.zagat.com/
- Lancaster PA Couple Arrested For Not Tipping - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6637437/Couple-arrested-over-theft-for-refusing-to-tip-in-restaurant.html
- Azian - http://www.azian.ca/
- 40 Creek Double Barrel Reserve - http://www.canadianwhisky.org/reviews/forty-creek-double-barrel-reserve-40-alc-vol.html
- 100 mile diet episode - http://zweifatchicks.podbean.com/2009/06/22/ep-7-take-two-100-mile-diet/
- canola/rapeseed - http://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/rapeseed-colza/rcm-mrc-eng.htm
We have a quite a potpourri episode for you today. Happy Labour/Labor Day! First, two local restaurant reviews: The Bull Dog Pub and Gold Boat Fish & Chips (that we so erroniously called Golden Sail - sorry!!). Then we move on to discuss another Oishimbo A La Carte Manga - Ramen and Gyoza are the topic of this edition. Enjoy and have a great long weekend!
- The Bull Dog Pub (600 Grandview Drive S., Oshawa ON) - http://www.thebulldogpuboshawa.ca/
- Gold Boat Fish & Chips (283 Dean Ave, Oshawa ON)- http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/oshawa/gold-boat-fish-and-chips/5166427.html
- Oishimbo - Ramen & Gyoza - http://www.comicbookbin.com/oishinboalacarte003.html
- Maus - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus
Usually we avoid trendy places, instead looking for great food at affordable prices - well, aZian seems to offer all three under one roof, as well as one of our favourite cuisines - Asian!
- aZian (1365 Wilson Road North #2, Oshawa ON) - http://www.azian.ca/
- Japanese funerary rites and how they apply to stainless steel chopsticks - http:/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_funeral
- All you need to know about chopsticks in one place. Yes, we love wikipedia. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsticks
- Yes, more Wikipedia...but about mochi! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi
We like to think of ourselves as being culinary adventurous, but travel costs a lot of money, so until we get a radio or TV show we have to make due with the magic of books to transport us to exotic edibles and forbidden foods. Tom's book (believe us, Mr. Bowles, it's better we refer to you informally in the show so we'll stop butchering your last name) is just the ticket to reading about dishes that you could only imagine yourself eating (or not eating).
- The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/617964
- Tom Parker Bowles' Archive on the Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/columnist-1003632/Tom-Parker-Bowles.html
- Food Legends: Gloucester Elvers - http://www.information-britain.co.uk/food/foodlegends/Gloucester%20elvers/
- NMSU Chile Pepper Instutite - http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/
- Fiery Foods Show - http://www.fiery-foods.com/
- Time Out Beijing Insect Delicacies - http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/restaurants/feature/3644/insect-delicacies.html
- Prince's Hot Chicken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg
- Jack Daniel's Invitational BBQ - http://www.jackdaniels.com/TheDistillery/InvitationalBBQ.aspx
- Fugu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu
- Asian Animal Protection Network Food Dogs Website (WARNING: there are GRAPHIC pictures of how dogs are kept and treated cruelly in order to make their meat "better") - http://www.aapn.org/fooddogs.html
- BBC In Pictures: Unusual Lao Cuisine - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/asia_pac_unusual_lao_cuisine/html/1.stm
- Spanish Barnacles - http://www.iberianature.com/material/barnacles.htm
- Best of Sicily: Sicilian Cuisine - http://www.bestofsicily.com/food.htm