Archive for the 'italian' Category
- tre sorelle (orillia, on) - http://www.tresorelleorillia.com/
- the brewerie (erie, pa) - http://brewerie.com/
- weighty matters blog - http://www.weightymatters.ca/
- stingy jack pumpkin ale (lavery brewing of erie, pa) - http://laverybrewing.com/ourbeers.php
Happy Thanksgiving, Fellow Canadians!
This week's episode covers another installment of Oishimbo (this time an overview of Japanese cuisine), and reviews of a local Italian bakery and the Moon Festival offerings of Mandarin Buffet (pictures coming of the later as soon as they're off Tracy's phone).
- Oishimbo - Japanese Cuisine - http://comicsworthreading.com/2009/05/13/oishinbo-a-la-carte-1-japanese-cuisine/
- The Baker's Table (227 Bloor Street E, Oshawa ON, 905-435-1036) - http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bakers-table-oshawa
- Mandarin Buffet - http://www.mandarinbuffet.com/main.asp
We like to think of ourselves as being culinary adventurous, but travel costs a lot of money, so until we get a radio or TV show we have to make due with the magic of books to transport us to exotic edibles and forbidden foods. Tom's book (believe us, Mr. Bowles, it's better we refer to you informally in the show so we'll stop butchering your last name) is just the ticket to reading about dishes that you could only imagine yourself eating (or not eating).
- The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/617964
- Tom Parker Bowles' Archive on the Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/columnist-1003632/Tom-Parker-Bowles.html
- Food Legends: Gloucester Elvers - http://www.information-britain.co.uk/food/foodlegends/Gloucester%20elvers/
- NMSU Chile Pepper Instutite - http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/
- Fiery Foods Show - http://www.fiery-foods.com/
- Time Out Beijing Insect Delicacies - http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/restaurants/feature/3644/insect-delicacies.html
- Prince's Hot Chicken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg
- Jack Daniel's Invitational BBQ - http://www.jackdaniels.com/TheDistillery/InvitationalBBQ.aspx
- Fugu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu
- Asian Animal Protection Network Food Dogs Website (WARNING: there are GRAPHIC pictures of how dogs are kept and treated cruelly in order to make their meat "better") - http://www.aapn.org/fooddogs.html
- BBC In Pictures: Unusual Lao Cuisine - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/asia_pac_unusual_lao_cuisine/html/1.stm
- Spanish Barnacles - http://www.iberianature.com/material/barnacles.htm
- Best of Sicily: Sicilian Cuisine - http://www.bestofsicily.com/food.htm
Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom’s. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.” -- Nelson Algren, A Walk on The Wild Side (1956)
In this week's episode, we discuss a hidden gem called Momma's that brings the lunch counter back to the present and into a mall! We also have sad news regarding Pete's Open Kitchen (which we really hope is reversed), and some info about the next episode, which will be recorded this week with a special guest.
For your viewing pleasure, two semi-related videos:
- Warrior in Woolworth's by the Xray Spex (vintage punk) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NYrIUG518
- Five and Dime from Reefer Madness the Musical (no nudity or swearing, but possibly NSFW due to a steamy tango scene at the end featuring Neve Campbell & Steven Weber) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9NCWQdBp0&feature=fvw
We spent a year in Orillia and found a TONNE of great places to eat for such a small town. Here's our homage to Orillia, with all the places that we didn't get only found the last few months, the places we didn't get a chance to try and the places we went to all the time but didn't really fit into any other shows.
Links of Interest:
- Theo's Eatery (214 Memorial Ave, Orillia ON) - http://www.theoseatery.com/
- Tops In Pizza - (276 Memorial Ave, Orillia ON) - http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?cid=3081782657387297348&q=Tops%2BIn%2BPizza%2Borillia%2Bmenu&hl=en&view=feature&mcsrc=details&num=1&start=0
- The Donut Line - (195 Memorial Ave, Orillia ON) - No Website Available.
- Bygone Days Just Breakfast (CLOSED - Now Viet Thai) - http://www.restaurantica.com/on/orillia/bygone-days-just-breakfast/23003033/
Places Not Visited Enough (or at all):
- Ossawippi Express (210 Mississaga Street E, Orillia ON) - http://www.ossawippi.co
- Zats (132 Mississaga St E, Orillia ON) - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g182145-d1443177-Reviews-Zats_Restaurant-Orillia_Ontario.html
- The Grape and Olive Wine & Martini Bistro (400 Memorial Ave, Orillia ON) - http://www.thegrapeandolive.com/
- Royal Oak Chinese Restaurant (88 Laclie St, Orillia ON) - http://www.restaurantica.com/on/orillia/royal-oak-restaurant/23004706/
- CW Coop's (425 West Street N, Orillia ON)- http://www.cwcoops.com/index.html
- Sixteen Front Street (16 Front Street, Orillia ON) - http://www.sixteenfront.com/
- Maria's Restaurant (83 Mississaga Street West, Orillia ON) - http://www.restaurantica.com/on/orillia/marias-restaurant/23004362/
Favourites That Don't Fit In:
- Fred's Meat Market (39 Mississaga St W, Orillia ON) - http://www.weblocal.ca/freds-meat-market-orillia-on.html
- Ace Chinese Food (28 Mississaga St E, Orillia ON) - http://www.acechinesefood.com/
- Euphoria Smoothies (22 Mississaga St E, Orillia ON) - http://www.euphoriasmoothies.com/
- Orillia Bakery (155 Front St S, Orillia ON) - http://members.orilliadirect.info/1-705-326-5555/
- Country Produce (301 Westmount Dr N Orillia ON) - http://www.countryproduce.ca/
- Moe's Taps & Wings (99 Mississaga St E, Orillia ON)- http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37881646349
- Brewery Bay Food Company (117 Mississaga St E, Orillia ON)- http://www.brewerybay.ca/
And, some humour for the road: The Orillia Song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_zyuo0W2o
We devote this episode to two hidden gems of Orillia, ON! These places seem to have small but very loyal followings - you might miss them because they're a bit off the beaten path even though they're right downtown. If you find yourself in Orillia, check out Tre Sorelle and Filou Bistro! Check out more photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38326366@N03/sets/72157621846844874/
Tre Sorelle (webpage under construction) - http://www.tresorelleorillia.com/
- 10 Peter Street South, Orillia, ON - (705) 325-8507
Filou Bistro (restaurantica reviews) - http://www.restaurantica.com/on/orillia/filou-bistro/23002594
- 179 Mississaga Street East, Orillia, ON - (705) 323-9656
Please follow us on facebook, MySpace and twitter! You can find us under firstname.lastname@example.org. If you like what you hear, spread the word and tell your friends about us. Our theme music is "Hot Swing" by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0. This podcast is also protected under Creative Commons Attribuition 3 - copy it, share it, but please give credit!