Archive for the 'Regional cuisine' Category
This episode covers the rest of Disney and the trip home from Florida, plus the first International Buffalo Wild Wings location, right here in Oshawa, Ontario!
Pictures will be forthcoming - but here is out episode about a small but amazing fried chicken chain in Ontario - Chick N' Joy. We also talk a bit about the origins of fried chicken and why it is associated with certain demographics...
- Chick N' Joy - http://chicknjoy.com/
- Food for Thought: Race, Region, Identity, and Foodways in the American South by Beth A. Latshaw - http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals/southern_cultures/v015/15.4.latshaw.html
- Soul Food - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_food
This weeks episode is a rerun of our May 18th 2009 show about Canadian breakfast featuring The Rainbow in Oshawa and Hill's in Orillia. We're currently working on a cereal episode and need to do some further research before we put voice to recorder. Also, we might as well upload this one again since podbean seems to have misplaced the original ep.
No matter where you live, there is bound to be a farmer's market near you. Eating locally has never been easier! This episode is about just some of the many prepared food vendors at the Oshawa Center farmer's market.
Green Belt Fresh (Farmer's Market Locator for Ontario) - http://greenbeltfresh.ca/ A Taste of Russia - http://atasteofrussia.ca/locations.htm Kyoto Coffee - http://www.kyotocoffee.ca/ Sticklings Bakery - http://www.sticklingsbakery.com/
We greatly apologize for the lateness of our 50th episode, but it couldn't be helped since Sheila spent all of last week in Toronto working security for the G20 Summit. Here's a great episode for you though, of a rural Ontario tradition - Haugen's BBQ! They have amazing rotisserie chicken, and are a hub for many car cruises.
- Haugen's Chicken and Ribs BBQ - http://www.haugensbbq.com/
- Aha!! Chicken skin won't kill you quickly! - http://www.healthzone.ca/health/dietfitness/diet/article/788197--chicken-skin-good-for-you-after-all
- Delicious, tasty chicken in the Hopewell, PA area - http://www.haroldsinnrestaurant.com
Usually we avoid trendy places, instead looking for great food at affordable prices - well, aZian seems to offer all three under one roof, as well as one of our favourite cuisines - Asian!
- aZian (1365 Wilson Road North #2, Oshawa ON) - http://www.azian.ca/
- Japanese funerary rites and how they apply to stainless steel chopsticks - http:/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_funeral
- All you need to know about chopsticks in one place. Yes, we love wikipedia. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsticks
- Yes, more Wikipedia...but about mochi! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi
We like to think of ourselves as being culinary adventurous, but travel costs a lot of money, so until we get a radio or TV show we have to make due with the magic of books to transport us to exotic edibles and forbidden foods. Tom's book (believe us, Mr. Bowles, it's better we refer to you informally in the show so we'll stop butchering your last name) is just the ticket to reading about dishes that you could only imagine yourself eating (or not eating).
- The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/617964
- Tom Parker Bowles' Archive on the Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/columnist-1003632/Tom-Parker-Bowles.html
- Food Legends: Gloucester Elvers - http://www.information-britain.co.uk/food/foodlegends/Gloucester%20elvers/
- NMSU Chile Pepper Instutite - http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/
- Fiery Foods Show - http://www.fiery-foods.com/
- Time Out Beijing Insect Delicacies - http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/restaurants/feature/3644/insect-delicacies.html
- Prince's Hot Chicken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg
- Jack Daniel's Invitational BBQ - http://www.jackdaniels.com/TheDistillery/InvitationalBBQ.aspx
- Fugu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu
- Asian Animal Protection Network Food Dogs Website (WARNING: there are GRAPHIC pictures of how dogs are kept and treated cruelly in order to make their meat "better") - http://www.aapn.org/fooddogs.html
- BBC In Pictures: Unusual Lao Cuisine - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/asia_pac_unusual_lao_cuisine/html/1.stm
- Spanish Barnacles - http://www.iberianature.com/material/barnacles.htm
- Best of Sicily: Sicilian Cuisine - http://www.bestofsicily.com/food.htm
This week's episode discusses a curry restaurant in Oshawa, as well as our respective first times eating at Indian or "Curry" restaurants. Mmmmm! Pardon the gratuitous Red Dwarf references. Tracy also does a quick review of yet another book about the pleasures of tasty adult beverages - Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis.
- Red Dwarf Official UK Site - http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/index.cfm
- Cafe of India (reopened in a new location! 1894B Mileground Rd., Morgantown WV) - http://www.cafeofindia.net/
- Tamarind Flavor of India (257 N. Craig Street, Pittburgh PA) - http://www.tamarindpa.com/tfi/index.shtml
- Curry Club (38 Simcoe St N, Oshawa ON) - http://www.goldbook.ca/ajax/Restaurants/16489_Curry-Club-Restaurant.html
- Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/399573.Everyday_Drinking
This weeks episode is about an Oshawa fixture and a new food-centric manga that we found!
- Dines Family Restaurant (400 King Street West, Oshawa ON - (905) 723-5951) - http://www.restaurantica.com/on/oshawa/dines-family-restaurant/23012571/
- Oishimbo: Izakaya -- Pub Food, Vol. 7 - http://www.viz.com/products/products.php?product_id=7495
Long overdue, here is part one of many episodes about cheese. We give a basic primer on tasting, pairing and varieties of cheese. So, don't be shy, grab some cheese!
- Why is Cheddar Cheese Orange? (The Straight Dope) - http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1284/why-is-cheddar-cheese-orange
- Cheese Pairings - http://www.artisanalcheese.com/pair_wine/
- Wallace & Grommit - http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/
These are but a few websites about cheese making:
- Gourmet Sleuth (Cheesemaking Recipes) - http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Cheese-Making-Recipes-304.aspx
- Glengarry Cheesemaking & Dairy Supply - http://www.glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca