Archive for the 'Geek salad 3.14' Category
Sheila's alma mater is doing food education right with Bistro 67, a teaching restaurant that is putting food from the field first and foremost.
This week's episode is a review of The Devil's Picnic by Montreal author Taras Gresco... an exploration of forbidden foods in various cultures.
- Taras Gresco's website - http://www.tarasgrescoe.com/
- The Devil's Picnic - http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Devils-Picnic-Grescoe-Taras/?isbn=9780002007801
This week's episode is a book review of Anthony Bourdain's Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook. Check it out!
Medium Raw on HarperCollins (Canada) - http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Medium-Raw-Anthony-Bourdain/
This episode had to be re-recorded three times and then Sheila had to recreate the Outro since our hard drive crashed last week, so hopefully everyone enjoys this episode. Also, this is the first time we've recorded an episode on Tracy's iPod, so if you like the quality of it, let us know in an e-mail or facebook wall post. We'll be going on vacation next week, so as usual, the podcast remains irregular. Enjoy!
This week's episode covers a favourite of all school age people, whether you're going to kindergarden or college - CEREAL! We discuss healthy vs. sugary cereal, The Road To Wellville and how cold cereals were invented and a certain cereal bar that seems like a hippy/beatnik place but has a very different agenda behind it. Enjoy!
- For more cute pics of The Little Beasts frolicking in cereal boxes, check out their website: http://www.littlebeasts.com/boston-terrier-photos/boston-terrier-cereal-killers.html
- Breakfast Around The World - http://ravenclawgirl.veoc.net/HouseElves/he_breakfast.htm
- John Harvey Kellogg - http://naturalhealthperspective.com/tutorials/john-kellogg.html
- The Road To Wellville - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_to_Wellville_(film)
- Cereality (locations around the US) - http://www.cereality.com/main.php
- So.Zo (473 High St., Morgantown WV - affiliated with the Chestnutridge Church, who openly opposes gay marriage) - http://sozo-morgantown.net/
This week's episode is a book review of Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. It's exploitational, but we can't necessarily say over-exaggerated. This episode isn't rated as "clean" because the book makes numerous references to alcohol and drug use, as well a informal dalliances with the opposite sex (I think I said that as polite as I possibly could). An entertaining read from someone who really has been there and done that (probably a few times), Boudain's Kitchen Confidential is the flag ship of restaurant exposés, that have influenced many others to write their own memoirs of how things really are in the kitchens of restaurants.
- Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain - http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Confidential-Adventures-Culinary-Underbelly/dp/0060934913
- The Rise of The Superchef (BBC) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7908794.stm
- Reclaiming The Toothbrush Mustache - http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/11/cohen200711
- Original Reggae Skinheads - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPZFpWC9o4
This is a bit of a pot porri, with a short review about a great Persian place in Oshawa called Cyrus, discussion of french presses, fresh made Naan bread from Indian Biyani in Toronto and how to make a tandoori oven right in your own back yard (please follow all local and fire safety laws!).
- Cyrus Persian Restaurant (905-448-0892, 563 Ritson Road South, Oshawa ON) - http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/article/133107
- Indian Biyani (416-340-1254, 181, Dundas Street West, Toronto ON) - http://indian-biryani.com/index.php
- Good Eats - The Curious Case of Curry - http://www.instructables.com/id/Garbage-Can-and-Flower-Pot-Tandoor-Oven/
- French Press Coffee - http://gourmet-coffee-zone.com/french-press-howto.html
- Roasting Your Own Coffee - http://coffeegeek.com/guides/popperroasting
- Travel French Press - http://www.planetarydesign.uscategories.html?cataction=tabletops
This episode is a book review on Waiter Rant by Steve Dublanica. It took us over 3 sessions to get this episode down, but felt that there were some really great points to discuss about the Western practice of tipping, even if we didn't necessarily always agree with The Waiter. Thanks for joining us in our first episode back from our July hiatus! We hope you enjoy it, and continue to listen!
- Waiter Rant - http://waiterrant.net/
- Life At TJ's Place - http://tjsplace.blogspot.com/
- The Ever-Expanding American Restaurant Tip By Sara Dickerman (Slate Magazine) - http://www.slate.com/id/2073161
Usually we avoid trendy places, instead looking for great food at affordable prices - well, aZian seems to offer all three under one roof, as well as one of our favourite cuisines - Asian!
- aZian (1365 Wilson Road North #2, Oshawa ON) - http://www.azian.ca/
- Japanese funerary rites and how they apply to stainless steel chopsticks - http:/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_funeral
- All you need to know about chopsticks in one place. Yes, we love wikipedia. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopsticks
- Yes, more Wikipedia...but about mochi! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochi
We like to think of ourselves as being culinary adventurous, but travel costs a lot of money, so until we get a radio or TV show we have to make due with the magic of books to transport us to exotic edibles and forbidden foods. Tom's book (believe us, Mr. Bowles, it's better we refer to you informally in the show so we'll stop butchering your last name) is just the ticket to reading about dishes that you could only imagine yourself eating (or not eating).
- The Year of Eating Dangerously: A Global Adventure in Search of Culinary Extremes - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/617964
- Tom Parker Bowles' Archive on the Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/columnist-1003632/Tom-Parker-Bowles.html
- Food Legends: Gloucester Elvers - http://www.information-britain.co.uk/food/foodlegends/Gloucester%20elvers/
- NMSU Chile Pepper Instutite - http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/
- Fiery Foods Show - http://www.fiery-foods.com/
- Time Out Beijing Insect Delicacies - http://www.timeout.com/cn/en/beijing/restaurants/feature/3644/insect-delicacies.html
- Prince's Hot Chicken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg
- Jack Daniel's Invitational BBQ - http://www.jackdaniels.com/TheDistillery/InvitationalBBQ.aspx
- Fugu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu
- Asian Animal Protection Network Food Dogs Website (WARNING: there are GRAPHIC pictures of how dogs are kept and treated cruelly in order to make their meat "better") - http://www.aapn.org/fooddogs.html
- BBC In Pictures: Unusual Lao Cuisine - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/asia_pac_unusual_lao_cuisine/html/1.stm
- Spanish Barnacles - http://www.iberianature.com/material/barnacles.htm
- Best of Sicily: Sicilian Cuisine - http://www.bestofsicily.com/food.htm